Competition Salutes Military Members and Their Dogs
Does your dog have what it takes to represent and to be named the 2019 Dogs on Deployment Military Pet of the Year?
Dogs on Deployment is a national non-profit which provides a network for military members to search for volunteers willing to board their pets during their service commitments.
At Dogs on Deployment, we aim to promote responsible, lifelong pet ownership within the military-pet community. One way we spotlight this goal is by hosting our annual Military Pet of the Year competition where our winner will be the Dogs on Deployment Mascot for one year, signifying their military owner’s commitment to a healthy, engaged lifestyle with their pet.
MPOTY – Get on Board!
Does your dog have an inspirational story? Have you and your dog become ambassadors for what responsible, lifelong pet ownership stands for? Is there something that makes your dog a star in your community or the joy of your family?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you and your dog may be the perfect fit to represent Dogs on Deployment as our 2019 Military Pet of the Year and Mascot!
Military members and veterans, prepare your cameras!
Here's what you need to know:
- Entries accepted starting January 1st at 12:00 AM PST through January 10th at 11:59 PM PST.
- Public voting from January 15th at 12:00 AM PST through January 20th at 11:59 PM PST.
- Judge's panel vote for the top-3 popular vote contestant winners from January 21st through January 25th.
- Winner announced on February 1st at 12:00 PM PST.
Entry Requirements & Instructions
A public entry link will be made available via our newsletter, social media outlets and on our website starting January 1st at 12:00 AM PST. Applications must include documentation proving military status, basic information, a photo for the contest and 500 words on why your dog should to be Dogs on Deployment's 2019 Military Pet of the Year and Mascot. (example topics: how did you get the dog, any difficulties you’ve had with the dog and your service commitments, any illness/accidents your dog has overcome, how do you exhibit being a responsible pet owner in the military, etc). This essay will be used as a caption for your dog’s photo during voting.
Entry and Photo Requirements:
- Dogs only
- May be any adult breed dog (over 1 year old)
- Dog must be spayed or neutered
- Dog must be owned by an active duty or reservist military member or honorably discharged veteran
- Must be a family pet who meets our “Code of a Military Pet Owner”
- Photo must be high resolution (prefer no phone photos, +200dpi, larger than 1200px by 1200px, print quality)
- Portrait or candid style photo of military owned dog
- No more than one dog may be shown in the photo for a single entry
- No humans allowed in photo
- Professional photographs preferred
- Photo must be original to owner
- Photo permissions must be given to Dogs on Deployment for reuse
- Must be willing to be photographed in uniform with your dog for Dogs on Deployment imagery during your tenure as the owner of the winner of Military Pet of the Year
- Must be willing to participate in various marketing initiatives supporting Dogs on Deployment for one year
- Must be willing to maintain a Facebook page for Dogs on Deployment's 2019 Military Pet of the Year and Mascot for one year
- Must be willing to attend local events and speak on behalf of Dogs on Deployment to potential media contacts
- Must be willing to sign a service agreement with Dogs on Deployment defining your role and responsibilities with Dogs on Deployment if selected in top-three
Each entry will be reviewed by the Dogs on Deployment's Board to ensure compliance with our below requirements. Any entry which does not meet the below requirements will be disqualified from the competition. Public voting will commence from January 15th at 12:00 AM PST through January 20th at 11:59 PM PST, and each person is allowed one vote within a 24-hour period, based on IP address and Facebook user profile. The Dogs on Deployment Board, with guest judges (soon to be announced!), will then pick the winner from the top three finalists receiving the most amount of popular votes. The winner will be announced on February 1st. Contestants are encouraged to share their voting link to encourage votes!
- Owner will receive a DoD Gear package
- Winning dog earns the title of Dogs on Deployment's 2019 Military Pet of the Year and Mascot
- Winning dog will receive a FREE annual veterinarian check up and yearly vaccinations (to be performed by Pet Owner’s preferred vet)
- Winning dog will be featured on Dogs on Deployment's website and social media page banners for 1 year
- Winning dog's image will be incorporated into Dogs on Deployment's 2019 t-shirt design
- Winning dog will be featured in multiple print and media publications promoting Dogs on Deployment
- Complimentary professional photography session with owner and dog for photos to be used in Dogs on Deployment's public relations campaigns as well as owner's personal use
- A Prize package from Petsmart, to include a high-quality dog bed, and lots of goodies
- Dog food donated by Blue Buffalo
- Gift basket donated by Merrick Pet Care
More prizes for first, second and third place winners to be announced soon!
Make sure to mark your calendars and enter soon!